Wednesday, December 31, 2014

That post you probably won't ever finish

I know it's cliche but thanks for 2014.

Thank you for welcoming me into this new, different high school that isn't the same kind of hell that my last one was.
Thank you for that time we rode that little wooden thing with the parachute on that really, really windy day.
Thank you for that time we stapled fake, plastic flowers to the set of South Pacific.
Thank you for that time you and that other guy played a prank on me and thank you for that pretty great photo of you I have on my phone to this day.
Thank you for the time I stole your hats and your hearts, for that tomato hat and the snapchat game and Jerry and the chase down that hall.
Thank you for that day of attendance school where we swapped stories, even though I'm kind of bitter about that now.
Thank you for sharing your music and that one time we danced in the dark to that dorky music while that one couple made out in the corner and thought we were laughing at them instead of ourselves.
Thank you for South Pacific.
Thank you for the dubstep and for The Birthday Event (which used to be the worst day of my life)
Thank you for the misplaced hope and that day that friendzoning was a thing.
Thank you for the last day of school and the yearbook and that auditorium and those confessions I still hold close to my heart.

Thank you for the summer.
Thank you for that movie we call 'Ten Days' but really it's what I call 'The New York Trip'
Thank you for the service that made me feel like life was worth it.
Thank you for the heartbreak.

Thank you for the sleepovers, for the first time we went to IHOP, for sneaking out of your sister's window because it felt so good to be free and thank you for twenty-one pilots. I still listen to them.

Thank you for the long rides down the stretch of road leading to my house in your car while we blasted music.
Thank you for riding in that busted up, dented car you liked to complain about.

Thank you for that play I did not want to be involved in but was anyway. Thank you for a secret friendship that was more and then it wasn't because of what I call my own bad luck.
Thank you for being someone I got to know and thank you for being someone I call a friend.

Thank you for August. For the last few months. For that dance that used to be the best day of my life and yet it still is, thank you for those words spoken in the stairwell, thank you for that car ride where I told you secrets, thank you for those auditorium seats that house my confessions.

Thank you for the innocence that I had and thank you for the innocence I lost. Thank you for that trip that was supposed to be incredible but wasn't, it was the beginning of the end and thank you for the honesty and black and whiteness of life.
Thank you for being my friend and thank you for that horrible decision you made because now I can call myself beautiful and now I can swear even though I try not to.

Thank you for teaching me that people can be more horrible, more unkind, more dark and hurtful than I could ever believe but thank you for teaching me that it's possible to be happy and to want to be alone at the same time.

Thank you, 2014, for making me into a much better person than I was before and thank you for teaching me lessons I didn't even know existed.

Thanks for the memories.
Here's to making more.

No comments:

Post a Comment