Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Letter for the Future

Dear you,

Gosh, now that I sit down to write to you, as I get ready spill my thoughts and feelings all over the page, I don't even know what to say.

I want you to know that it doesn't make any difference to me if you're adopted or if we share the same blood. Either way, you're my kid and I love you.

You're caught up in a world that will never understand you and see you for what you really are
and that's not what you see when you look in the mirror
You are not the homework you've done or the bags that sag underneath your eyes after you stay up too late and you are not the lies people tell you and you are not a stereotype.
You are so much more.
You are you and I hope that one day you understand what that means.

I want you to know that I'm your parent, but I'm also someone that wants to be your best friend. I'm always on your side, even though sometimes it doesn't seem like I am.
And gosh dang it, if you're having a bad day, let's go get lunch and talk about it because I want to hear all the details of your life.
I want to hear about how your significant other is being stupid or how the little kid down the street wouldn't share his scooter or how you found something gross in your spaghetti or how your friends aren't really your friends.
I want you to know it's okay to cry and, unlike what the world might tell you, you're not a baby if you cry.

As much as I want to get you advice for having a good life, I know that you'll listen without really hearing and the only way for you to really learn is to experience it for yourself.
I promise I won't say I told you so. (No matter how much I might want to)

I want you to know that, despite what people might tell you, life is not about winning. As great as winning may feel, it's only temporary, darling. It's okay to lose sometimes. In fact, it's good to lose sometimes because it's in losing that we learn the most.

One of the most important things you need to know, darling, it's you're going to make some pretty bad mistakes. Some of the decisions you make aren't going to be good. But guess what, that's okay. Everyone makes those decisions. But think of those bad decisions as lessons, darling. They're going to teach you about yourself and about life and about the people around you and it's really going to hurt but guess what. I'm here for you and I promise I'll always be here for you, no matter the decisions you make. I know it feels like there are some things that are absolutely unforgivable but for you, darling, I will always love you.

I know that life looks big and beautiful and wonderful and simple right now, but it can also be a dark, scary place my darling. It's full of adventures and castles and love, but it's also a place of lies and wolves that lurk in the clothes of sheep. It's full of fakeness and it's a world where it's wrong to be real and it's wrong to be an individual but darling, you can be whoever you want.
Don't let the people around you dictate your life.
Don't forget that being whoever you want doesn't end when you turn eight.
You can always exceed expectations
and change doesn't end when you're in the middle of middle school.

Your first love will most definitely not be your last, no matter how much you want it to be. Just know that no matter how much you care about someone, never give them the key to your happiness because no matter who you give that power, they will always fail you when it comes to making you happy. The only person that can make you truly happy is yourself, darling and it might be an extremely dark day when you discover that for yourself, but when you do, the world is yours to conquer.

I want you to know that religion is a thing and if you disagree with what I believe, that's okay. That's absolutely okay. Because despite what people tell you, religion is something that belongs to you and you decide what you believe. It's something you need to discover for yourself and if you don't feel like something is right, don't follow it just because I tell you to.
Talk about it with me because I want to know how you feel and what you think.

Life is hard, but remember that it's not just hard for you, it's hard for everyone. Remember that even the girl with the sparkling new boots or the boy with the brand new electronics have problems and even though people may seem like they have perfect lives, they don't.
Give people the benefit of the doubt, but don't ever let them walk all over you because they will.

Remember that it's okay to say no, my darling. It's always okay to use me as an excuse to say no. Oh, and if you ever feel scared or alone or uncomfortable and you're not at home, call me and I don't care where I am or what I'm doing, I'll come get you because you are my number one priority.

But above all else, my darling, don't ever forget that I love you.
and it's just that simple.
I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment