Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Spoiler Alert

Spoiler alert - I still love you.


Let's start here - What does a regret, a mistake, a pair of Supras and an ego to rival the moon have in common?
Oh, that's right. You.

You, being the one who was never sorry. You who couldn't tell me the truth. You, the one who hung that vacancy sign around my neck and tied it with a bow because you 'don't regret anything'.

It all began with you.

Before, it was blonde hair and blue eyes with the depth and the beauty of the Atlantic, it was the excitement of Christmas Eve and you were the epitome of a sunset. Vivid, and bright and oh so alive.

But you've left me with broken crayons, unanswered prayers and shattered dreams. You took my innocence in your hand and placed it underfoot, driving it into the mud with your heel until it was unrecognizable. Until I was unrecognizable.

I call my heart faulty, but really it's my head.

No, scratch that, it's because of me, myself and I. I'm a clock with broken gears because they just don't know how to work together anymore.

Your clock, though. Your clock is accurate to plus or minus twenty milliseconds. It's in sync with the satellites revolving around us at twenty thousand miles per hour but somehow you never get dizzy. Those very satellites you call stars, I call fake.

My clock? My clock measures time in moments, in worn out pairs of shoes and expired library books. It's not tangible, it's something more. Something seventeen years and three quarters of a day has taught me. Something these hallways whisper only to those who listen.
Something only I know.


And then I look at your clock.


Tick...


I fell for you.


Tick...


I said I loved you.


Tick...


You broke my heart.


Tick...

Tick...

Tick...

Spoiler alert: I still love you

No comments:

Post a Comment